Keeping the kids entertained can be a challenge at times. I love quiet time while they are playing with play dough. What makes it even cooler is when we make our own.
We can make the exact colors we want and can even add oils to it to change up the scent. Using different essential oils, I can help the kids calm down or even feel better when they’re under the weather.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- ½ cup salt
- 2 teaspoons cream of tartar
- 1 cup water
- 1.5 tablespoons vegetable oil (any kind of oil will work!)
- Food coloring
- 6-8 drops of essential oils of your choice
- In a saucepan, stir the flour, salt, and cream of tartar together.
- Add in the water, cooking oil, and food coloring and mix until smooth.
- Turn on the heat to medium-low, and stir until the mixture forms a ball.
- Once the mixture has reached play dough-consistency, remove it from the heat and allow it to cool for 3-4 minutes.
- Knead in the essential oils of your choice. (I poked a hole in the center, dropped in the oils and it mixed very easily)
- Store in an air-tight container. (Storing it in the fridge will make it last even longer!)
Play dough is the perfect activity for when you need to stay inside, like a rainy day or a snow day. Or even during a summer like this one and it’s just too hot to be outside for too long.