We're in full-blown winter mode here this week. While it has not been snowing, it is dark and dreary. I don't know about you, but I love a bowl of hot soup to really warm me up this time of year.
Today's Curry Turkey and Rice Soup brings a little something different to the table, while giving you that comfort food we so often need.
There's just something amazing about a dinner that cooks all day and having the smells wafting throughout the house.
- 1 turkey carcass and other trimmings
- 2 c turkey meat, diced
- 1 c rice, uncooked
- 1 onion, peeled and chunked
- 1 – 2 carrots, roughly cut in half or quarters
- 1 – 2 c frozen mixed vegetables
- 1 – 2 garlic cloves, peeled
- 1 – 2 bay leaves, dried
- 1 tbsp. parsley, dried
- 1 tbsp. curry powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp seasoned salt
- 6 – 8 c cold water
- In a large soup pot, add the turkey carcass and any other trimmings (skin, fat, cartilage, neck, etc).
- Add the chunked onion and carrot and bay leaf.
- Cover with water and begin to simmer. Simmer for approximately 6-8 hours, covered. Do not let it boil hard, just a nice simmer is fine. Simmering for a long period of time gives the heat and water the opportunity to draw out more of the flavor from the bones and other trimmings that were added. (Watch the water level. It shouldn’t evaporate too much but if it does, simply add more water.). Skim any foam that might arise to the top.
- After simmering, take it off the heat and let cool slightly, and then put the whole pot into the fridge or freezer so that the excess fat rises to the top.
- After it’s hardened, skim off the fat, reheat the broth until it’s liquid and then strain all the liquid from the bones/carcass. Discard the carcass.
- **Optional: Strain the liquid again, but through a sieve this time to remove any bits that settle in the soup. You don’t have to do this step, but I like the broth to be a bit clearer before beginning to make the soup.
- Put the broth back into a clean soup pot.
- Add garlic and onion powder, salt, curry powder and parsley. Taste for seasoning adjustment to your preference.
- Add the turkey and rice to the pot.
- Bring to a low boil and let it cook until the rice is almost complete.
- Add the frozen mixed vegetables and let them heat through, and by this time the rice should be cooked.