It's getting cold here in Maryland and you know what that means? Comfort food! One of my favorite comfort foods is lasagna. There's just something about sitting down at a table with your family over a big dish of lasagna.
Today I wanted to share my favorite lasagna casserole. While I love a regular lasagna, I sometimes get a little fed up breaking my lasagna noodles to get them to fit into my dish. That's why we're using mafalda pasta for this!
- ¾ lb lean ground beef
- 1 small onion, diced
- Bertolli® Riserva Marinara with Parmigiano-Reggiano
- 4 cups Mafalda Pasta
- 3 cups cottage cheese
- 2 cups shredded Italian cheese
- grated Parmesan cheese
- Cook pasta according to package and drain.
- Brown ground beef in large skillet with diced onion.
- Add Bertolli® Riserva Marinara with Parmigiano-Reggiano to skillet and stir to combine.
- Pour 1 cup of sauce mixture into casserole dish.
- Add half of the cooked noodles to casserole dish and spread evenly.
- Top noodles with 2 cups of cottage cheese, spread evenly.
- Add 1 cup of shredded Italian cheese.
- Sprinkle Parmesan cheese.
- Add the rest of your noodles on top of the cheese layer.
- Pour the rest of sauce mixture on the noodles and spread evenly.
- Top with 1 cup of cottage cheese and spread thin.
- Spread 1 cup of shredded cheese.
- Sprinkle with a little more Parmesan cheese.
- Cover with aluminum foil.
- Cook for 50 minutes at 350 F.
- Remove foil and continue cooking another 10-15 minutes.
Yes, I know this isn't the “proper” Italian way to make lasagna, but my grandmother has always used cottage cheese instead of ricotta, so that's how I make it. That's what brings back memories to me.
To me, Italian food always makes me think about a big family sitting around the dinner table passing plates and enjoying good food. With all of the hustle of everyday life, it's really nice to be able to sit down at the table. Even though it's just the four of us around our table, I like to celebrate the small victories.
Of course, this is also kid-approved! Both boys always gobble up my lasagna casserole!
Right now, you can join Bertolli® as they help end childhood hunger in America. For each photo shared via social media using #MyTuscanTable throughout October, Bertolli® will make a $1 donation through a partnership with No Kid Hungry. With each dollar, No Kid Hungry will provide 10 healthy meals to kids in need, up to a half a million meals. No Kid Hungry is ending childhood hunger in America by ensuring kids have the healthy food they need, every day.
The Bertolli® brand is proud to lend its passion for uniting people over food to help connect kids struggling with hunger to the nutritious meals they need to grow and thrive.
Doesn't everyone deserve to sit down and feel comforted by their food and those around them?
I really love how much easier this lasagna is without those lasagna noodles! You can make this in mini dishes for individual servings or you can easily use a round casserole dish (can't really do that with regular lasagna noodles).
Check out these ideas for how you can bring Tuscany to your table.
Do you have a favorite Italian dish that just makes you feel at home?