Are you running out of lunch box ideas yet? Because it’s officially fall and everything pumpkin is perfectly acceptable now, I made up some Pumpkin Mac & Cheese Cups that are perfect to toss in the lunch box or even for a yummy after school snack!
The secret to these Pumpkin Mac & Cheese cups is that they’re not made from a box (though we eat box mac and cheese plenty around here, too). Sometimes I like to get those fancy cheeses we don’t always have on hand and really treat myself (or the kids). This go around, I picked up some Arla Dofino cheeses. Arla Dofino cheeses are naturally good from farm to fridge. The cheese is free of added hormones, artificial flavors and preservatives, and crafted with quality, naturally delicious ingredients, so I can really feel good about feeding it to my family.
Arla Dofino cheeses have been traditionally crafted in Wisconsin for more than 100 years! Obviously, they know what they’re doing over there!
- 1 pound elbow noodles
- 3 Tbsp butter
- 3 Tbsp flour
- 4 cups milk
- 1 Tbsp dijon mustard
- ¾ cup canned pumpkin puree
- 1 cup Arla Dofino Smoked Gouda, grated
- 1 cup Arla Dofino Creamy Havarti, grated
- Preheat oven to 375.
- Cook pasta according to package, but about 2 minutes under suggested cooking time. Drain and set aside.
- Heat a large pot over medium heat. Add 3 tablespoons of butter and melt.
- Add the flour and whisk together until the mixture has a nutty smell.
- Slowly, add in the milk while continuously whisking. Bring to a simmer and allow the milk to thicken.
- After it's thickened, you can add in the dijon mustard, salt and pepper.
- Turn the heat off and add the pumpkin and both cheeses. Stir until they are completely melted and everything is well incorporated.
- Add your cooked noodles and combine.
- Spray your cupcake pan with cooking spray and fill your cups with the mac and cheese.
- Top with extra cheese and bread crumbs if desired.
- Bake for about 30 minutes.
- Allow to cool in the pan so that the cheese has time to firm up, holding your cups together.
Arla Dofino cheese is available in slices and chunk form. I’ve included the key in the recipe above, so you can make it whether you find your cheese in slices or chunks. You can find Arla Dofino is available in a variety of retail stores nationwide in the deli section (not the dairy sections). For more information visit, https://ooh.li/5ebfaf2.
These do take a little time to make the first time, but then you’ll have them already prepped for the week to use as you like.
Both boys gobbled these down and Charlie really liked that he could just pick it up and eat it, no fork required! Also, he didn’t know there was pumpkin in it, so a little extra veggies were had!
Arla Dofino is hosting a Snack-to-School Facebook sweepstakes from September 15 to October 15, 2015! One winner will receive a semesters worth of Arla Dofino cheese and a Genuine Thermos lunch kit. You can enter by visiting the Arla Dofino Facebook page, then clicking the Sweepstakes tab and follow the instructions to complete your entry.