This post was sponsored by Boys & Girls Clubs of America as part of an Influencer Activation for Influence Central and all opinions expressed in my post are my own.
This year, I've put a lot of focus on making better choices for myself and my family. It's important to me that my boys see those better, healthy choices and learn to make healthy choices for themselves as well. Staying active is a big part of that. During the school year, we have our routines and and it works well.
The boys just finished fall soccer and we're skipping indoor to get a little bit of a break (and my Saturdays back). That said, we do still need to stay active.
When school is out, it's easy to lose that routine, sleep a little extra, and have some inactive or unhealthy days. It’s important to keep kids motivated year-round while maintaining a fun and relaxed atmosphere. With the holidays, things always seem a little out of whack. It’s important to find ways to promote a healthy, active lifestyle for our kids – that fit within families’ busy schedules.
Have you heard about the Triple Play program with the Boys & Girls Clubs of America? In partnership with the Anthem Foundation and The Coca-Cola Company, Boys & Girls Clubs of America offers the Triple Play program to kids and teens in its Clubs across the country. The Triple Play program focuses on three components of health and wellness – mind, body and soul. It empowers kids and teens to excel by giving them the tools and education they need to lead a life of health and wellness, setting them on a path to a great future.
The Boys & Girls Clubs are dedicated to instilling positive health and wellness habits in America’s kids. Clubs encourage kids to eat right, keep fit and form positive relationships with themselves and others. Smart nutritional choices, active lifestyles and self-confidence are integral to helping youth reach their full potential and lead a healthy lifestyle.
Since Triple Play’s introduction in 2005, more than one million Club members have participated in the program, and increased their physical activity, established good nutritional habits, developed interpersonal skills and improved self-confidence.
Of course, parents also play an important role in the Triple Play initiative! There are great lessons and activities from the Triple Play program that parents can incorporate into their routines – especially during school breaks. Here are some of our favorite activities for winter break that are perfect to keep the kids busy and have a fun time as a family.
ACTIVITIES FOR WINTER BREAK
- Kick a ball around – It may be a bit colder, but kicking the ball around is still fun!
- Go for a walk – Grab your coats, hats, and gloves and go for a walk. Just because the weather is cooler doesn't mean you can't get out there and enjoy a walk together.
- Make something – Get crafty during breaks! I know we all have craft activities and supplies set aside to “someday”!
- Go sledding – If you've got snow on the ground, get out there and enjoy it! Sled, build a snowman, or have a snowball fight!
- Dance it out – We love having music on in the house and have been known to have a little mid-day dance party in the middle of the kitchen.
- Go caroling – With our MOMS Club, we make cards and head to the nursing home to pass them out and carol. It's fun for the kids and really cheers up the residents at the nursing home.
- Explore the zoo – We have a local, small zoo that is perfect for a quick activity during the day. It takes us about an hour or so to explore the zoo.
- Help in the kitchen – The kids love helping in the kitchen. Not only does it get them moving around, but it's a great way to talk about the foods we need to nourish our bodies.
- Visit family – During the school year, we stick to routines and don't often make time to visit with family like we'd like to. School breaks are the perfect time to reconnect with family that we don't see.
Be sure to check out your local Boys & Girls Club – in additional to providing services after school and during summer, many Clubs offer extended hours during school breaks!