This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser. All opinions are mine alone. #YesYouCan #CollectiveBias
Happy Tuesday, friends! Who's ready for this weather to finally break? Last week it was 70 and then we saw snow this past weekend. That's the thing about Maryland, we don't really put our winter coats away until April(ish). Mornings are chilly, afternoons are nice, evenings are chilly again.
I don't care what time of year it is, a one pot meal is my favorite! Today's one pot dish I wanted to share with you definitely feels like comfort food. I love the ease of our Cheesy Chicken & Veggie Tortellini Skillet.
While picking up some craft supplies for a special project in our in-progress bathroom renovation (we'll be sharing over the next few weeks), I grabbed what I needed for an easy dinner. Fresh veggies from the produce section, some chicken, cheese, and a couple cans of Hunt's canned tomatoes.
Being able to add seasoned tomatoes that are already diced is one of my secret tricks to a speedy dinner with little effort on my part. That's pretty much my goal. Get dinner on the table without a lot of fuss.
Another one of my tricks for the kitchen is for cutting onions. I don't know about you, but my eyes water and burn like crazy when I'm cutting onions. I've had to leave the kitchen, wash them out, and take a few minutes of a break. It's bad. I recently started putting my onions in the freezer for about 10-15 minutes before cutting. This really helps!
I always cut my onions last, so what works for me is popping the onion(s) in the freezer, get everything else prepped, then grab the onion(s) from the freezer and chop them.
The boys have been loving tortellini and ravioli lately, so I thought I would include tortellini in a skillet meal. It's one of those items I always keep in my freezer.
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, large diced
- 2 bell peppers, sliced
- 1 small zucchini, sliced
- 2 cans Hunt's diced tomatoes
- 1 lb chicken, cut into small chunks (about ½")
- ½ cup chicken broth
- ½ cup sour cream
- ~10 oz frozen cheese tortellini, thawed
- 1½ cups Italian shredded cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Heat oil on medium-low in a large, deep dish, oven-safe skillet.
- Add onion, peppers, and zucchini.
- Cook 5-7 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add in canned tomatoes and continue cooking for 2 minutes.
- Stir in chicken. Cover and heat 7 minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir in chicken stock
- Remove from the heat and add another pinch of salt, pepper and the herbs.
- Stir in the chicken broth, sour cream, ½ cup cheese, and tortellini.
- Place skillet in oven and bake uncovered for 40 minutes.
- Add remaining cup of cheese on top and heat an additional 5 minutes or until cheese is melted.
I ended up with some extra juice from the veggies and tomatoes, but it's perfect for sopping up with fresh bread!
Find more easy to make recipes that are perfect for busy families by visiting this link: Yes You Can Recipes!