I love making stuffed peppers, but don’t always have ground beef on hand. After a quick check of the freezer and pantry, I threw together some quick and easy chicken fajita stuffed peppers.
And… this dish was Charlie approved! Not just approved though, he devoured it! He ate a whole pepper, half of another, and still wanted more!
Whenever we make stuffed peppers, we wind up with extra filling. It works great inside a flour wrap for an easy burrito or quesadilla the next day!
- 2 chicken breasts, cooked and diced
- ½ a large yellow onion, diced
- 1 16 oz can of diced tomatoes, drained
- 1 package of Spanish rice (we use something like Rice-a-Roni)
- 1 fajita seasoning packet
- ⅔ cup of water
- 4 bell peppers
- shredded cheddar cheese (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Trim the tops off the bell peppers and remove the seeds. Cut them in half lengthwise.
- Cook rice according to package directions.
- Sauté the onions in a skillet for 2-3 minutes.
- Add cooked chicken, water, and fajita seasoning and cook an additional 2-3 minutes.
- Combine chicken mixture, rice, and diced tomatoes
- Fill the peppers.
- Top with shredded cheese (optional)
- Place the peppers in the oven and bake for 25-30 minutes.