This is a sponsored post written by me on behalf of Seventh Generation. All opinions are my own.
A little over a month ago, I shared with you how you could Join Seventh Generation and #FightToxins! Seventh Generation was trying to collect 100,00 signatures on a petition asking Congress to make the reforms on the Toxic Substance Control Act. The TSCA has not been updated since 1976!
Well, we did it! On April 30th, Seventh Generation, along with the Toxin Freedom Fighters and its partners, held a press conference on Capitol Hill to move chemical reform to the forefront of national discourse. Senator Kristen Gillibrand of New York was presented with the petition by Seventh Generation Toxin Freedom Fighter, Zephyr Chaffer.
The press conference featured Seventh Generation President and CEO John Replogle;
Kristi Marsh, a mother of three, breast cancer survivor, and advocate; and David Levine
from the American Sustainable Business Council.
Seventh Generation tested various surfaces, soils, and water in the Capitol. The results were released at the event to show that no one (not even policymakers and their staff) are exempt from exposure to toxic elements in their environment.
In case you were wondering why this event was important:
- heavy metal testing results from Capitol Hill were released
- economic data from Companies for Safer Chemicals was released
- we’re all hit with 300 toxins before we’re even born
- early exposure to toxic chemicals can lead to increased likelihood of cancer, Alzheimer’s disease, and other diseases and health problems
- the TSCA that regulates chemicals in everyday products hasn’t been updated in 38 years
Be sure to check out www.fighttoxins.com to follow along. Add your name to the petition if you haven’t already, so we can keep showing lawmakers we mean business when it comes to fighting toxins!