This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser. All opinions are mine alone. #ShopRiteFamilyMeals #RootedInFrontera #WholesomePantry #CollectiveBias
If you're looking for a great dinner on a busy weeknight, you found it! I'm a sucker for a good casserole and this Mexican Chicken Lasagna is a hit with the whole family.
I grabbed the ingredients for this new dinner idea at ShopRite this week. Did you know that at participating ShopRite store locations (not available at all stores), you can visit an in-store registered dietitian for FREE – for product and recipe recommendations? How cool is that?!?
I used a couple Frontera products and several items from Shoprite's Wholesome Pantry line. I love that Frontera doesn't take shortcuts. Their products help bring authentic ingredients, flavors and recipes to my home and I think that's just what we did with our Mexican Chicken Lasagna. ShopRite's Wholesome Pantry line helps add some staples to our pantry (and fridge) that are free from artificial flavors, colors and preservatives. It's food that I can really feel good about feeding my family.
If you've been a reader for awhile, you know we love to cook with our kids. There are so many things they can do in the kitchen that we (as parents in general) just don't give them credit for. We have our kids helping with all kinds of tasks in the kitchen.
The boys often fight over who helps with what and of course, Charlie (age 7) can be trusted with more advanced tasks than his little brother.
While Charlie was at school, Owen helped me whip up dinner.
The great part about casserole type dishes is that everything winds up in one dish and they're really hard to screw up.
To make it easy for my soon-to-be 5 year old, I opened everything up ahead of time. All he had to do was dump and stir on my cue.
Of course, if you're not making this with the kids helping, dinner will be ready to throw in the oven in a jiffy. Sometimes that's exactly what we need – something we can throw in the oven quickly and not worry about for awhile. But usually, I really enjoy those special little moments that I have with the boys in my kitchen. It reminds me of helping my own parents and grandmothers in the kitchen growing up. Those are memories that I will always cherish – as a child and now as a parent.
When Owen sat down to help me make our Mexican Chicken Lasagna, he said “I can't wait to taste what we make.” That's what it's all about. We make memories and yummy food. This kid is always so excited to help me do anything.
With the exception of cooking the chicken, small children can help with everything in this easy recipe! Little kids can definitely dump, pour, spread, sprinkle, and stir. Those are perfect jobs for your little ones! And in our recipe – there are just about no measurements needed!
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- 2 cups salsa
- 1 (15.5 oz) can black beans
- 1 (15 oz) can corn
- 8 oz Red Chile Enchilada Sauce
- 1 cup ranch dip
- 8 corn tortilla shells, halved
- 1½ cups shredded Mexican cheese
- Preheat oven to 375 F.
- Bake chicken in preheated oven until no longer pink and the juices run clear, about 25-30 minutes.
- Chop baked chicken.
- Coat a 13x9 glass baking dish with cooking spray.
- Spread about 3 Tbsp enchilada sauce in the bottom of the baking dish, enough to coat.
- In a medium bowl, combine chopped chicken, salsa, black beans, and corn.
- In another separate bowl, combine remaining enchilada sauce and ranch dip.
- Layer tortilla shell halves in dish on top of enchilada sauce, overlapping just a bit if necessary.
- Spoon half of chicken mixture on top of tortilla pieces.
- Sprinkle ½ cup of cheese on top of chicken mixture.
- Spread half of enchilada/ranch dip mixture over cheese.
- Repeat layers.
- Cover with foil and bake 40-45 minutes.
- Remove foil and sprinkle ½ cup cheese on top and bake additional 5 minutes.
ShopRite makes it easy to create better-for-you meals to bring your whole family to the table. Visit ShopRite.com/WellEveryday for healthier eating tips and recipe inspiration, and see here (http://cbi.as/a2j-0) for more Frontera & Wholesome Pantry inspiration!