This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and Walmart Family Mobile. All opinions are mine alone. #Tips4Trips #CollectiveBias
How do you survive road trips with your family? For us, it's snacks. I can't even say that's just because of the kids though. I was always a big snacker and needed to stock up before sitting in the car for hours. With kids though, sometimes those road trips are only an hour and we need snacks to make it there in peace.
One of our favorite snacks is a party mix or trail mix, but we'll call this our road mix. You can head to Walmart to grab everything you need, including a container to store it in for the car. I grabbed a larger container to keep the main portion in, but then grabbed some of the cute Snackeez Jrs (these are the cups that hold a snack and a drink) for the kids.
- mini pretzels
- candy eyeballs
- colorful non-pareils
- alphabet cereal
- dried apples
- raisins or dried cranberries (the kids think they're the same thing)
- bunny grahams
- Enlist the help of the kids!
- Add in as little or as much of each that you want.
- Store in an airtight container.
When you're getting your trip essentials, stop by the electronics department at Walmart to find the most affordable phone plan for your family. You'll need a phone (I've been using the Alcatel One Touch Pop Astro that was just $64.88) and a starter kit to start you on the Walmart Family Mobile service! While your on your trip to wherever you're going, you'll be able to share and document all that fun!
Disclaimer: All prices for phones and plans included in this post are accurate as of the date of posting; however, these prices are subject to change. Please refer to http://cbi.as/fs1l or your local Walmart for current pricing.
Before you head out on your trip, download a few apps that will help you along the way:
- Sit or Squat – You can search, view, rate or add bathrooms. Important if you have kids that just have to go!
- Local Eats – Find local restaurants while traveling instead of eating at chains you can find anywhere.
- Restaurant.com – Get deals for local restaurants while traveling, saving money on food is always a plus!
Don't worry about how much data you'll use while on the road! Walmart Family Mobile is $29.88/month (for the first line) Unlimited Talk, Text & Data service plan which includes up to 1G of 4G LTE data. And if you're wondering, 1G goes quite a ways, but you can add more if you'd like without breaking the bank.
Snacking Tips for the Road
- Bring something everyone likes! With our snack mix, there's plenty in there that everyone likes and I don't need to worry about picking out things that Owen can't have, like other mixes.
- Make sure you have wipes and paper towels ready. Gotta clean those messy hands!
- Pack individual bags or containers for each person. This is especially helpful for kids!
- Don't forget a trash bag. I prefer some type of food storage bag with a zipper, so I can keep it closed and contained.
- Pack drinks in a small cooler to keep them accessible. If you have space, put a larger one in the trunk.
- Resist the urge to buy snacks at a convenience store. You can get full-size snacks at the same price if you buy ahead of time at the grocery store.
- Be prepared for spills. They'll happen. Don't freak out!
Give Walmart Family Mobile a shot this summer, so you can afford to take more trips and eat yummy snacks on your way there!
Where are you traveling to this summer and how can Walmart Family Mobile help you with your trips? Leave a comment and let me know!