We're always looking for easy breakfasts around here and boy do I have a great one to share with you today! Morning around our house can be a bit crazy while Tom is getting ready for work and Charlie's getting ready for school, Owen and I just try to stay out of the way.
While some people (like my mother) are content with some kind of pastry or baked good for breakfast, that's just not me. I need a real breakfast and that usually includes meat and eggs. While the kids are perfectly fine without real food for breakfast, I know they need it! I want the kids to have a breakfast that will get them through until lunchtime and ideally only one snack between the two.
There's just something super cool about taquitos. I think it's because they're perfect for dipping!
You know what makes these breakfast taquitos even better? They're freezer-friendly! This means I can make a large batch and cook ahead. Then, I can heat them up in the mornings.
These Sausage, Egg, & Cheese Breakfast Taquitos are super delicious, portable and the kids LOVE them!
- Soft taco flour tortillas (you can use corn as well)
- Ground sausage (We use mild, but turn up the heat if you can stand it!)
- Eggs (1-2 per tortilla shell)
- Shredded cheese (We like cheddar for its punchy flavor!)
- Salsa or picante sauce for dipping
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Grab a jellyroll pan (or a cookie sheet, but a pan with a lip is best) and line with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a medium skillet, brown your sausage. Set aside.
- Next, cook your eggs until cooked firm (runny eggs will make the tortillas wet and therefore likely to tear).
- Heat up 5 tortillas in the microwave for 20 seconds (they are easier to roll when they are warm.)
- Get all your supplies and make a station, like an assembly line.
- Place a tortilla in front of you.
- Put a spoonful of sausage, eggs and a sprinkle of cheese.
- Roll tightly and put in the jellyroll pan, seam down.
- Repeat until you fill up the pan, placing the rolled tortillas snugly next to one another.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes, or until browned.
- Serve with your salsa or picante sauce. Sour cream is a good choice too!
Whether you're looking for an easy breakfast the kids can heat themselves in the morning (and maybe they'll let you sleep in?) or need a quick breakfast for those school mornings, our breakfast taquitos will be a winner!